Today, I’m going to share with you Part One of my Sephora VIB Sale Haul. Admittedly, I went a little crazy, but I had a couple of gift cards and store credits burning a hole in my pocket. Plus, how often do you get the chance to save 20% on luxury products that never go on sale?
I will be breaking this up into two parts: makeup and skin care. (My skin care haul is going to be pretty epic.)
This will be a first impressions review because we’d be here all day if I discussed everything in greater detail. I’ll update with more in-depth reviews once I have a chance to test out the products. FYI: The sale prices listed below are based on the 20% Rouge discount before sales tax. So, let’s talk makeup…
Photo from Sephora
1. Sephora Collection – Outrageous Effect Volume Lip Gloss ($12 each/Sale $9.60 for 0.169 oz.) – I purchased this plumping lip gloss because I’ve been hearing a lot of rave reviews about it lately. I picked up Shade 1 – Universal Volume, Shade 2 – Nude XXL and Shade 4 – Exponential Pink. I was blessed with naturally full lips, but a little extra oomph never hurts. This gloss has a slight peppermint tingling feeling, but it doesn’t sting like many other lip plumpers.
The Outrageous Effect Volume Lip Gloss is a close dupe for the Dior Addict Lip Maximizer Plumping Gloss which costs three times as much! Both products contain Chili Powder as the main plumping ingredient. Surprisingly, I prefer the Sephora Collection Lip Gloss because it feels more hydrating. The plumping effect is subtle, but noticeable. The formula is not sticky either. This gloss will make a fantastic lip topper or it can be worn on its own for a low maintenance makeup day.
Photo from Hourglass
2. Hourglass – Ambient Lighting Edit Volume 3 ($80/Sale $64 for 0.49 oz. – Limited Edition) – I included this palette in my sale recommendations, so it should come as no surprise that I picked it up. Hourglass’ powders and blushes are nothing short of amazing. This product is an incredible steal since a full sized blush or powder (0.15 oz) retails for $38 and this palette includes three mini powders (0.04 oz each), two blushes and a bronzer for only $80. This palette features three bestselling and three new, exclusive powders. It’s currently sold out on Sephora, but it’s still available on the Hourglass site.
Photos from Sephora
3. Pat McGrath Labs – Mothership I Eyeshadow Palette – Subliminal ($125/Sale $100 for 0.47 oz.) – I’ve been obsessed with the new Pat McGrath Mothership Eyeshadow Palettes as of lately, so I decided to splurge on the Mothership I to complete my collection while it was on discount. The stand out shades in this palette for me are Blitz Blue (vivid sapphire), Pale Gold 002 (cool platinum gold), VR Violet (pinky violet duochrome) and Astral White (white with blue flash.) The formula is highly pigmented, blendable and the shadows layer beautifully on top of one another. Each palette includes a terrific matte black shadow, Xtreme Black, that can act as a base to make the metallic shadows really pop. I wasn’t that psyched about this particular palette until I swatched it, so I really think that these shadows should be experienced in person. In my opinion, all three Mothership Palettes are worth owning. The Mothership I will be perfect for days when I’m trying to achieve a more neutral look. My full review of all three palettes is coming soon.
Photo from Sephora
4. Marc Jacobs Beauty – The Wild One Eye-Conic Eyeshadow Palette ($99/Sale $80 for 20 x 0.028 oz. – Limited Edition) – I really love the updated formula of the new Marc Jacobs Beauty Eye-Conic Eyeshadow Palettes that launched over the summer. (Read my review of the Provocouture Eyeshadow Palette here.) When the holiday collections were first announced, this beauty immediately caught my attention. Yes, the price is a little steep, but when you consider that the permanent Eye-Conic Palettes retail for $49 for seven shadows, then $99 for twenty shades isn’t such a bad deal. (In comparison, the regular Eye-Conic Palettes’ pans are 0.30 oz.) I was also very tempted by the Edgitorial Palette from the brand’s permanent range, but that one can wait until the spring sale.
Last year’s holiday palette didn’t really interest me, but I do prefer its sleek, gold packaging to this year’s zebra print casing. Personally, I think it looks kind of cheap for such a luxe, expensive palette. On a more positive note, it does include a large mirror. However, packaging aside, this is an absolutely gorgeous palette.
In a sea of neutral palettes, I find the unique, vibrant color selection to be refreshing. The palette contains a mixture of matte, frost, duochrome and metallic finishes with a glitter shade (Hen Party) thrown in. Hen Party is a bit of a mess worn on its own, but I think it would make a nice lid topper paired with some glitter glue. The shadows are intensely pigmented, long-wearing and blend well. Some of the shadows, particularly the mattes, kick up some excess powder in the pan. Therefore, I’d suggest applying your eye makeup first to avoid any potential issues with fallout. The shadows are supposedly arranged in a vertical fashion to create specific looks. Overall, I’d count The Wild One amongst the best holiday palettes of 2017. Seriously, my swatches don’t do it justice!
See swatches below. As per usual, I did not use a primer:
(From left to right: Funny Bunny, Hen Party, Chameleon, Lion’s Share, Nest Egg, White Elephant, Early Bird, Sheepish, Nine Lives and Paper Tiger)
(From left to right: Crow’s Nest, Cat Call, Bearish, Free Bird, Foxy, Pea-Cocky, Bull’s Eye, Dog and Pony, Cat Fight and Golden Fleece)
Photo from beautyblender
5. beautyblender – beautyblender nude ($20/Sale $16) – I can’t function without a beautyblender in my makeup routine. I prefer the nude color because it’s easier to keep clean. If you’ve never tried a beautyblender, then go buy one now and thank me later. It will drastically change your makeup game.
Photo from Sephora
6. Smashbox – Photo Finish Primerizer ($42/Sale $33.60 for 1 oz.) – I’ve been wanting to try this primer and moisturizer in one for a while. Smashbox claims that it delivers 24-hour hydration so it’s ideal for combating dryness, dullness, uneven texture and fine lines and wrinkles. It plumps and moisturizes with niacinamide (which improves skin’s vitality and barrier repair) and hyaluronic acid (a molecule that holds water within the skin to prevent moisture loss.) Stay tuned for my thoughts on this item.
Photo from Sephora
7. Sephora Collection – Dry Clean Instant Dry Brush Cleaner Spray ($14/Sale $11.20 for 2.0 fl. oz.) – This quick-drying cleaner instantly removes makeup product from brushes for instant reuse. I find that many brush cleansers have an overpowering chemical smell, but this one is surprisingly pleasant. It will come in handy for makeup tutorials.
Photo from Sephora
8. Marc Jacobs Beauty – Snake Charmer 5-Piece Petite Enamored Hi-Shine Gloss Lip Lacquer Collection ($39/Sale $31.20 for 5 x 0.05 fl. oz. – Limited Edition) – My second Marc Jacobs Beauty purchase was this lovely holiday set. I’ve been meaning to try Marc Jacobs’ Lip Lacquers for a long time now. In this set, you receive five of their bestselling, high-shine lip glosses: Sugar Sugar, Skin Deep, Raspberry Beret, Boys Don’t Cry and Ch-ch-changes.
Enamored Hi-Shine Lip Lacquer lip gloss delivers maximum color and brilliance with its unique Triple Shine Complex, a blend of high-performance ingredients that provide unstoppable wear and shine like 30 coats of lacquer.
I really enjoy these lip glosses. They are pigmented, comfortable to wear and not sticky. Similar to the Sephora Collection Lip Glosses mentioned above, they are mint-scented. My personal favorite shades are cult favorites Sugar Sugar (a champagne-gold shimmer), Skin Deep (a opaque taupe-mauve) and their newest, limited edition shade Ch-ch-changes (a transformative plum with a blue-green shift.) The full sized products retail for $28 for 0.16 oz. Again, these make great lip toppers or can be worn on their own.
Photo from the brand
9. Sephora Favorites – Mini Perfume Box ($65/Sale $52) – Finally, I decided to treat myself to a fragrance. Oddly enough, I can’t find any photos or information about this set online. Anyway, I purchased a Sephora Favorites Set that includes deluxe sized fragrance samples of Chloé, Miu Miu, Black Opium and Mon Paris by Yves St. Laurent, Tory Burch Jolie Fleur Lavande and Daisy by Marc Jacobs. What makes this such an excellent deal is that not only do you get the deluxe sized samples, but you also receive a certificate for a 1 oz. bottle of any perfume included in the box at no additional cost! I chose Mon Paris which normally retails for $70.
Did you shop the Sephora VIB Sale? Please leave a comment below. Also, please like this post if you enjoy hauls.