Happy 2018! In Part Two of my Best of Beauty 2017, I named Coloured Raine’s pan shadows as my favorite of the year. Today I will be sharing my top ten must-have shades from the brand. But first, some background information..
Coloured Raine is a Black owned brand that was founded by Loraine in 2013. According to her biography, Loraine wanted to create a cosmetics line that encouraged self-expression and diversity. I strongly believe that it’s of the utmost importance to support other women in the beauty industry. One thing that I really appreciate about Coloured Raine is how universally flattering their products are on practically every skin tone. Coloured Raine is a cruelty free company.
Coloured Raine first focused on lip products before releasing the hugely successful Queen of Hearts Eyeshadow Palette in 2016. I bought it on the first launch and instantly fell in love with the brand. Although initially advertised as limited edition, the palette was made permanent last year. (It’s currently sold out on the Coloured Raine website, but I assume that it will be restocked at some point. I’ll keep you posted.) Coloured Raine also released four limited edition mini palettes last year. The brand recently dropped their second full-sized palette, Cheers To The Beauty ($56), last month. FYI: I won’t be mentioning shades from any of their palettes in this post.
I own 25 of the 44 single pan shadows in Coloured Raine’s permanent line. (Note: Some of these are duplicate shades from the Queen of Hearts Palette.) Each individual pan retails for $6.99 for 0.06 oz of product. The brand has sales a few times each year which is when I stock up. I’m not a Coloured Raine Affiliate, but you can do a Google search for affiliate codes to save money. In no particular order, here are my top ten essential eyeshadow shades from Coloured Raine…
Colorful range of pressed eye shadows featuring highly pigmented, long-lasting and blendable colors that glide on like butter with various finishes.
All photos are from Coloured Raine unless otherwise stated. Swatches are my own.
1. St. Germain Cocktail – St. Germain Cocktail is a medium, metallic gold with yellow undertones. As far as gold eyeshadows go, this particular shade is very wearable and understated. It suits fair skin tones especially well.
Photo from Temptalia
2. Superstar – If you’re looking for more of a bold, statement making gold then Superstar should be right up your alley. This shade is a deep, warm gold with strong yellow undertones and a metallic finish. Superstar is nearly identical to Makeup Geek’s Fortune Teller, so if you own one then you can probably pass on the other. It’s worth noting that Coloured Raine’s eyeshadows are $3 less expensive than Makeup Geek’s Foiled Eyeshadows.
3. Who, Me? – This warm, coppery brown with a metallic finish makes the perfect lid shade.
4. Pumpkin Pie – Orange lovers rejoice! Pumpkin Pie is a bright, warm medium orange with a golden sheen and frosted finish. The boldness of this shade may be off-putting to some, but it’s versatile enough to be packed on the lid or used to warm up the crease.
5. Side of Olives – I’m a sucker for a good green eyeshadow. Side of Olive is a warm, olive green with a frosted finish. This will be a really flattering shade on brown eyed beauties.
6. Downtown – Downtown is a warm, metallic copper that delivers insane color payoff in a single swipe. I do have a couple of extremely close dupes in my collection such as Henna ($12) by Anastasia Beverly Hills and Makeup Geek’s Flamethrower ($10.) However, I prefer Downtown because it’s the most creamy, pigmented and cost effective of the three.
7. Vintage – Vintage is a warm, coppery brown with a frosted sheen. Although the cosmetics market has been inundated with warm toned eyeshadows lately, this shade really nails it in terms of pigmentation, ease of use and longevity.
Photo from Temptalia
8. Passion – Passion is a deep, medium red with warm undertones and a metallic finish. It’s an almost exact dupe for Makeup Geek’s Curtain Call, but Passion is slightly more red. Again, you probably don’t need both shadows.
9. Malibu – If I had to pick a favorite shade in the collection, it would probably be Malibu which is a bright, cool toned teal blue with a metallic finish. The pigmentation is unreal!!
10. Blue Magic – Last but certainly not least is Blue Magic, a bright, medium blue with cool undertones and a frosted finish. I’d definitely rock this stunning shade for a night out on the town.
See swatches below. As per usual, I did not use a primer:
(From left to right: Blue Magic, Malibu, Passion, Vintage, Downtown, Side of Olives, Pumpkin Pie, Who, Me?, Superstar and St. Germain Cocktail)
(Comparison swatches – from left to right; Makeup Geek – Curtain Call, Colored Raine – Passion, Anastasia Beverly Hills – Henna, Makeup Geek – Flamethrower, Coloured Raine – Downtown, Makeup Geek – Fortune Teller and Coloured Raine – Superstar)
Final Thoughts: If you’re new to Coloured Raine, I’d suggest first purchasing the Queen of Hearts Eyeshadow Palette. Stay tuned for my Beauty To The People Palette review coming soon!
What are your favorite Coloured Raine products?